Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Forecasting 101: Relative Humidity and Dew Point

Both of these terms give a reading on how much moisture is in the air, however one is a little more reliable then the other.

Before I go into details about Relative Humidity and Dew Point I want to give you some handy information. Warm air can hold more water vapor then cold air. I'll repeat this warm air holds more water vapor then cold air.

Alright now that we go that covered, Relative Humidity is a calculated measurement. Relative Humidity is the percentage of how much water vapor is in the air over how much water vapor the air can hold at the current temperature and pressure. Hence, the term "Relative" Humidity. I found an equation that writes it out so that you can see what I mean. But to be clear, the maximum moisture the air is capable of holding changes with how warm or cold it is. 



I personally, think that Relative Humidity is confusing because it can be 50% relative humidity at just about any temperature. However, 50% relative humidity at 100 degrees is going to feel very stick then compared to 50% relative humidity at say 50 degrees.

A less confusing way to look at humidity is the Dew Point temperature. I love love love the Dew Point temperature. You can ask any of my friends how much I love this measurement. Why you may ask, well Dew Point is an actual measurement of the amount of moisture in the air. The Dew Point temperature is amount the current air temperature would need to decrease in order to reach saturation. The Dew Point temperature can NEVER be greater then the actual air temperature. I found a great chart below that can help you understand Dew Point Temperature.


Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, this can be a confusing topic.

Photo From:
dampp-chaser.com
livecurlylivefree.blogspot.com
backyard.weatherbug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment